So here is my listicle of ten of my favorites:
- Snollygoster (n): A politician who cares more about personal advantage than serving the people (isn’t that all of them?)
- Woo-woo (adj): dubiously or outlandishly mystical, supernatural, or unscientific
- Thoughtscape (n): A landscape of ideas
- Side-eye (v): A sidelong glance expressing contempt
- Face-palm (v): to cover one’s face with the hand as an expression of embarrassment, dismay or exasperation
- Ghost (v): To abruptly cut off all contact with a person
- Listicle (n): an article consisting of a series of items presented as a list.
- NSFW (abbr): Not safe for work; not suitable for work- used to warn someone that a website, email attachment is not suitable for viewing at most places of employment
- Weak sauce (n): Something inferior, ineffective or unimpressive
- Throw shade (v): To express contempt
This is one case when FOMO (fear of missing out – a word from last year) can be helpful. Jump in and keep up to date with the language.
Is there a word or phrase that confuses you?